Sunday, November 05, 2006



The pastel image for today typifies one of my favorite techniques for quick art that satifies the eye. The technique uses masques and powdered pastel chalks rubbed against the masques to form the hard edges while the pastels are feathered out like airbrush.

This particular image was created some years ago and the first original was sold to a dentist in Arizona. I liked the image so much that I replicated it again. Strangely enough, the wife of a dentist now wants to buy this replication. I guess there is something about this image that is attractive to those in the dental field. I suppose that this is because the inspiration for this image is derived from the oral cavity and dentition of the striped wombat.

Actually I just made that last part up. The pattern is one that I cooked up on the spot just because it appealed to my sense of composition.

Right now I am churning out more of these to take to all the dental offices around town cause apparently dental folks just can't resist this image.

Just kidding.

No comments: