Monday, January 22, 2007


This is a mosaic of jewels plundered from various ancient tombs of kings and queens. After long years of gathering the emeralds, aquamarines, saphires and other stones as yet unnamed in the west, I have set them in a pattern for your viewing pleasure.

Sure.

No doubt you have guessed that I lied about these being precious stones. They are in reality just old CDs modified with the heat of a butane torch and cut into shapes. But they did come from ancient tombs.

OK, I lied again. I actually just gathered various types of discarded CDs to use for this artwork. The different brands and types exhibit different colors when you torch them, but most of them become beautiful.

If anyone reading this has any old CDs please let me know. I particularly want the CD-R type that have the colored optical plastic. Also, any of those DVD-Rs that didn't burn correctly -- don't throw them in the trash where they are just another landfill problem -- give them to me and I will ply them with flame, turning them into a thing of beauty, if not quite ancient jewels.

No comments: